Case Study in The Power of Social Media :It's All About Relationships

I recently participated in a case study without really knowing about it.  We hear so much about the power of social media, and we are equally asked what the results we see. This short case study will give you insight into the power of social media, but more importantly what your campaigns really need in order to convert into theh dollars or actions you are expecting. .

Overview:
An acquaintance from college posted a request on Facebook for blood donors.  A friend of hers -- a father of two young children-- was recently diagnosed with leukemia and is requiring numerous blood transfusions (specifically white blood cells and a certain blood type).

I saw the post on Facebook and although my blood type didn't match, I thought how hard could it be to share the request with my network. "Sue" was a person I knew pretty well and I respected her.  I posted a request for blood donors (of the certain blood type) with some information about the person in need. My post gave a specific request--Blood donors (blood type), time commitment, and how to get into touch with me. 



Results: 
 Within 30 minutes, I had four people offer to donate blood.  Within an hour, I had them connected to the patient's wife and lined up with the hospital donation team.

Case Study Summary (Why this was a success):
  • The request was specific.  Readers didn't have to guess what they needed to do. The request specifically asked for blood type, time commitment, etc.
    • People don't want to have to think about what they are doing.  Take the guessing out.  It's like a seating chart at a wedding.  People want to be told what to do/where to sit in these situations. 
  • The request was personal.  Social media is all about relationships.  I only sent the request because I knew the other person and she has good character, etc.  
    • You need to be respected/known by your audience, especially if you are asking for personal information. 
  • The request had an emotional element.  Make the request for action about the readers/person involved. In this case, the readers needed to know that the person in need was a father of two young girls and he has been in the hospital since he was diagnosed just three months ago.  
    • People  inherently want to do good, and if you give them more info on how their time and efforts will directly impact someone or something, they will be more willing to take the action you want them to. 
    • On the flip-side, if you are a B2B or a B2C firm, the emotional aspect comes into play of how what you are providing will impact your ready.  For example, if you an estate planner, you may talk about children, grandchildren, etc., something that has an emotional appeal to your reader. 

Hope you find this helpful..  Anyone have anything to add to the points above?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My New Favorite Snack: Winky Gel Bites

Don't Treat Me Like a Doormat!