5 Steps Overcoming Frustrations With Your Work and Life



Lately, I've been getting restless at work. Am I in the right place? Are the things that challenge me the right things? Over the last week or so, I spent some time evaluating where I am and where I want to go. The process, which I have to say has been a surprise to me, has re-energized me and helped me completely appreciate everything where I am.

I'm not a sappy person who "found the light." But, I did find that I'm where I'm supposed to be, at least for now.

Here's My 5 Step Process To "Enlightenment":

  • Inventory. Think about what your happy with and more importantly what's driving you crazy.

  • Identify what you can change and what you can't. Sounds easy right? But this is actually the hardest part. You need to make sure that if you are attempting change within your job and company that it will be accepted and appreciated by your manager and your coworkers. If you're making change at home and you're married; you better be talking with your spouse.

  • Change what you can!

  • Talk with your manager. If you've built the right typjavascript:void(0)e of relationship with your boss, you should be able to be open about your frustrations. There may be things that you're not aware of that could help in your decision process about change. Also before you move into the fifth bullet, you should always tell your manager you are evaluating options within your own company. Most HR teams require it. It's also better that your managers hears you're scoping out other jobs and departments from you than through the office rumor mill.

  • Talk with others. I met with other managers, vice presidents, and colleagues to see what else was available, where I might fit, and if there were other options for me. This step requires you to be completely honest with yourself (especially if you haven't been up to now). You might just find out that the right place is exactly where you are.

And last but not least. When all else fails: Take a Vacation. Getting away and clearing your head might just be what you really need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study in The Power of Social Media :It's All About Relationships

My New Favorite Snack: Winky Gel Bites

Don't Treat Me Like a Doormat!