I am Blow Away: Generosity in Today's Economy

Three weeks before Christmas, my uncle was diagnosed with cancer. His options were do nothing or try chemo in an attempt to shrink the tumors vs. cure him. To add to the stress of the situation, my aunt and uncle did not have the best insurance and the cost of doing chemo could wipe out thier retirement savings. After long talks, they decided to try chemo and see if my uncle's time with us could be extended.

My family felt a bit helpless as we live in Milwaukee and my aunt&uncle are in Phoenix. So we decided to organize a fundraiser to help offset some of the incoming medical bills. Between scheduling the fundraiser and having it yesterday, my uncle had passed away. But we decided to have it anyway, my aunt was going to need all the help she could get.

On a cold Sunday afternoon in Milwaukee, I saw selflessness of people that we rarely see anymore. Through donations at the door, raffles, and silent auction items we raised nearly $5,000 in a four-hour period.

Nothing was better than seeing everyone there celebrating my uncle's life and helping olur family out. Thank you to everyone who came out and helped our family. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study in The Power of Social Media :It's All About Relationships

My New Favorite Snack: Winky Gel Bites

Don't Treat Me Like a Doormat!