Welcome to 2009 the Year of Doing more with Less



2009 is here and although we have said "Do More with Less" in the past, 2009 couldn't more true. This is true for many people including myself. Example being:

-Like many of you, I work where some colleagues have been laid off, budgets were tightened, but it seems the work hasn't decreased either, in fact, its growing.

-I'm getting married this year. Not only that, my tax escrow was short, Christmas just passed and it seems that everything costs a bit more, well at least gas isn't $4/gallon.

-Because of the two items above, I feel like I don't have any time or money. I spent a number of days from my year end vacation, cleaning, paying bills, doing laundry, running errands, all the things you don't have time for now because you are working harder (do more with less).

What's a girl to do?

At work, we all had to write down everything we do. Then we had to identify anything that wasn't strategic, imperative, etc. This allows you to really evaluate if what you are working on is really all that important compared to others. Lets be honest, how many "favors" do you do for others that 'will only take a second' and 2 hours later you find yourself questioning your sanity. You can use the same approach with your personal life as well. It is OK to say no sometimes. You really have to pick your battles.

On the personal side, I have started to do more at home. Inviting others over and sharing the costs of dinner/drinks, etc. I am blown away by how much $80 buys at the grocery store vs. the $80 we spent on wine and chocolate at a wine bar last week.

What are you doing to in the light of 2009 pressures?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study in The Power of Social Media :It's All About Relationships

My New Favorite Snack: Winky Gel Bites

Don't Treat Me Like a Doormat!